Welcome to Day 5 Jathara Parivartanasana - Abdominal / Spinal Twist
Jathara Parivartanasana - Abdominal / Spinal Twist walk through with Leisa
- IBS (irritable bowel syndrome): This asana is wonderful for massaging through your ascending and descending colon - See video below for more details
- Stress and anxiety: It is said that practicing this pose is good for relieving stress and anxiety. It is often prescribed to those suffering from depression and insomnia.
- Fatigue: The pose is not only relaxing but also re-energizing. As such, it has been known to be effective for those who feel tired all the time.
- Headaches: The revolved abdomen pose is also good for those suffering from migraines and headaches.
- Strengthening of the back along with the spine and all the muscles of the abdomen, particularly the obliques.
- Easing of stiffness and increases flexibility in the shoulders, chest, hips, lower back and spine.
- The pose helps in proper digestion.
- Improved blood circulation throughout the body.
- The compression of the organs that is caused with this pose releases metabolic waste and toxins. The organs also get fresh oxygenated blood.
- There are many benefits to twisting the spine. When the spine twists and stretches not only will the spinal discs be hydrated but it will also realign, relax and lengthen the spine.
Contraindications: Recent or chronic injury to the knees, hips or back.
MODIFICATIONS + VARIATIONS
Modifications: Place a folded blanket under the knees.
Variations: Rest the left hand on the right knee adding more weight for gravity to pull the knees down.
It is important whilst in Supine the legs drop to the left first to massage into the right side of the body. When seated we would twist to the right. This can become very confusing even for teachers.
I would love to hear from you
Please feel free to Comment and like