Jathara Parivartanasana - Abdominal Twist
Therapeutic Applications of Jathara Parivartanasana, Revolved Abdomen Pose:
- Stress and anxiety: It is said that practicing this pose is good for relieving stress and anxiety. It is often prescribed to those suffering from depression and insomnia.
- Fatigue: The pose is not only relaxing but also re-energizing. As such, it has been known to be effective for those who feel tired all the time.
- Headaches: The revolved abdomen pose is also good for those suffering from migraines and headaches.
Performing the Revolved Abdomen Pose is an excellent way to realign and lengthen your spine while strengthening the area of your abdomen. Including this pose to your daily routine can enable your mind and body to release toxins and tension and can make you feel refreshed and rebalanced all through the day.
1. Lying on your back, bring your arms out to the sides with the palms facing down in a T position. Bend both knees into the chest.
2. Exhale drop both knees over to the left side of your body, twisting the spine and low back. Slide the knees as close to the left arm as possible. Look at the right finger tips.
3. Keep the shoulders flat to the floor, close the eyes, and relax into the posture. Let gravity pull the knees down, so you do not have to use any effort in this posture.
4. Breathe and hold for 6-10 breaths.
5. To release: inhale and roll the hips back to the floor.
6. Repeat on other side.
Benefit to the body:
- Strengthening of the back along with the spine and all the muscles of the abdomen, particularly the obliques.
- Easing of stiffness and increases flexibility in the shoulders, chest, hips, lower back and spine.
- The pose helps in proper digestion.
- Improved blood circulation throughout the body.
- The compression of the organs that is caused with this pose releases metabolic waste and toxins. The organs also get fresh oxygenated blood.
- There are many benefits to twisting the spine. When the spine twists and stretches not only will the spinal discs be hydrated but it will also realign, relax and lengthen the spine.
Contraindications: Recent or chronic injury to the knees, hips or back.
MODIFICATIONS + VARIATIONS
Modifications: Place a folded blanket under the knees.
Variations: Rest the left hand on the right knee adding more weight for gravity to pull the knees down.
I would love to hear from you
Comment, like and share
Visit my Blog: http://www.leisatimms.com/blog
Follow me on Instagram today: https://instagram.com/hippiechicktrainer
Join me on Facebook:https://www.facebook.com/thehippiechicktrainer